Trouble by Non Pratt


Summary: Hannah's smart and funny ... she's also fifteen and pregnant. Aaron is new at school and doesn't want to attract attention. So why does he offer to be the pretend dad to Hannah's unborn baby? Growing up can be trouble but that's how you find out what really matters.

Release Date: Out now

Publisher: Walker / Simon and Schuster

Initial thoughts: I have had this book on my kindle for years and only recently got round to reading it when I read the blurb again and remembered why I bought it in the first place. The storyline intrigued me and I wanted to find out how the situation of a fake dad would even work out. 


We are introduced to two perspectives in this book, Hannah's and Aaron's. This works really well as it gives us not only the perspective of the pregnant teen but also the new stranger that has randomly volunteered to be the pretend baby daddy. I quite like books when they gives more than one perspective as it adds more to the story and helps you understand characters motives better, if it is done correctly. Non Pratt weaves these stories together perfectly with the correct change of perspective at the right moments.


Hannah, despite being young and pregnant, is really quite grown up for her age. Yes she goes out drinking every week but that is to please her friend and to fulfill expectations that have been placed on her by the group she is in. She enjoys sex and being close to people, which gets her labelled as a slut. She makes the decision to keep the baby even though she knows everyone else would think it is a bad idea. 


The revelation of the baby daddy is quite obvious before it is actually said out loud and is quite weird. The more interesting thing about this book though is Aaron. His story is not fully explained until about three quarters of the book is done but it drops little hints throughout which keeps you wondering what could have happened to him. Another interesting thing is his motives behind volunteering to pretend to be the babies daddy. Having only met her a couple times, it seems weird that he would just ruin his reputation like that to help her. 

Overall: I really enjoyed this book. I could not put it down, I read it every chance I could get and I even read it during university lectures. I would recommend this book to anyone as it is genuinely interesting and entertaining.


Emma :)

No comments